Sunday, November 20, 2011

Making Time for Yourself in This Time of the Year


Well, here we are again. The holidays. Oh, I know we’ve had holidays before -- MLK’s birthday, Easter, Independence Day, Labor Day.

But, those were just holidays. Each one meant something different, of course. Celebrating the life of Martin Luther King or the resurrection of Christ or our nation’s birthday or the common working man and woman.

And, yes, these next three holidays -- Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day -- each have a specific subject of honor.

We know different, though. Those three events are the megalopolis of holidays. All across this great nation, families are making important travel plans for Thanksgiving. I, myself, will be on the road as well.

I don’t make such grandiose schemes for any other holiday. I don’t have to go to anyone’s barbecue for Memorial Day or Labor Day. The most important thing on Easter is my church.

But, woe to the person who has nowhere to go for Thanksgiving.

After Thanksgiving comes Black Friday (or Black Thursday night if you’re Wal-Mart or Target), kicking off the official Christmas shopping season. So, now, you’re in the Christmas mood (and, no, Hallmark Channel’s 200 days of Christmas movies doesn’t put anyone in the mood).

Should you and your wallet survive the yuletide, you come to one of the most important choices. As Al & Vicky once intoned: “What are you doing New Year’s Eve?”

The point I’m trying to make here is that from this point on, until Jan. 2, we are one a different plane of reality. Family, friends, food, travel, shopping, gifts, celebrations will be on our minds for the next 40 or so days. Some of us may even find time for some good will on Earth, peace towards men.

What we may not have is time for ourselves. And I don’t just mean not hearing screaming kids or chatty in-laws or the belching airline passenger behind you. I mean actual free time for yourself.

If you’re reading this blog, you know I’m talking about writing. Isn’t it ironic that November is NaNoWriMo? The true test of writing a novel in a month is November when you’re bound to be heavily distracted just when you need the most concentration.

Still, you must continue your craft. You must get in that minimum one hour of scribbling per day.

Trust me. After all the hoopla of the holiday season, you’ll welcome an hour of silence in which to write.

The question is: Will you give yourself that hour?

3 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled it's almost December. I've spent the last 6 weeks on my son's college apps and essays (editing, not writing). Now that the deadlines are here, I can rest, relax, and write!

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Job Day. Chaplain-Worker Government Worker In The Workforce Butt. Post-MCR-JROTC-CIA-10yrs-Olds-College-Hollywood-La-Hospital-Connected-To-Elementary-School-As-Corporate-Raiders. Shore Duty Hollywood-La-California Types.
    Job Mid. Family We’re All Psychoanalyzed Jet Fighter Special Forces Spy, A+ School. This Is My Make Up Of Pond-Assassin-Paramilitary Entry. Air Guard Camps. All Special Forces Spy Camps. No Make Up.
    Job Night. ‘‘Screenplay Writer’’.
    Work Where. Shore Duty. We Agree Make Capital-Whitehouse-Governors-Houses-Mayors-Houses-Hollywoods-La-{Built for Movies}-University-Pre-Elementary-{We Chaplains Nursery To Exact 10yrs Olds As CPU W/ The FBI-CIA Mostly And Are CIA-CPU-Unit}-For Doctors-Degrees-Hospitals For Doctors. It’s Like A ‘’Little City’’.
    Families Left Brain Mathematical Genius 1 A+. Psychological Warfare Anthropologist Realist King Queen.
    Families Right Brain Mathematical Genius 1 A+. Scientist Warfare Physical Scientist Realist King Queen.
    Worlds Wide Maybe Just A Novel Writer. Maybe Not A Movie Writer. Maybe Just A Writer.
    We Are Worlds # 1 Fist-Fighters Achillies,-Athena.
    Az “George Howe” 0’Neill Anonymous.
    Genius Physiologist Chaplain.
    Psychologist Film Military Scientist.
    Anthropologist Movies Sarcasm.
    ROTC CHAPLAIN ROTC- ABOVE GOES ON ONE PAGE AND IS OUR LIFES OUTLINE. YOU CAN USE IT AS A GUIDE HOW TO DESIGN YOUR OUTLINE BUTT I, WE GET CREDIT FOR IT RELIGIOUSLY. YES HOMEY I KNOW HOW TO PRAY BUTT I CALL IT I KNOW HOW TO HELL MARY. ABOVE LIVES OUTLINE GOES TO THE ROTC. THE J’S TOO. IT SHOULD BE SENT TO FORKNER ELEMENTRY SCHOOL FRESNO CALIFORNIA TO MADI LLAMEZ (ANONYMOUS), EMMA LLAMEZ (ANONYMOUS), BELLY LLAMEZ (ANONYMOUS) FOR THEIR WORK, SCHOOL AND THEN PLAY BUTT NO YOU’RE IN 1ST GRADE FORSAY GET TO WORK. Sidebar everything should be at the 1st grade level and then Emily Chavez Anonymous is the girlz Young Marine represent for say. Post small air field Fresno Northside Herndon. Yo teach we get that could be our education do you.

    Chaplain MCR-JROTC-Young-Marine messy Religious Spiritual Prayer buy my movies for 55 million for 3 million per 1 fantasy movie,
    Wal*Mart you gave me a home and this is just saying thanks. So… Wal*Mart 1 I will bother away if you like butt this is kind of fun ok Wal*Mart. Playfully Wal*Mart you gave me a home ok. So… I’m a Wal*Mart Drug Dealer somewhat and Wal*Mart Store Owner Butt not with a franchise maybes ok. “‘{We The People}’” Wal*Mart is making everybody give them things at Wal*Mart prices that is good for “‘{We The People}’”. Now I’m a banker for say ok. Wal*Mart is demanding prices to go down. Inflation, Economy. National deficit, anything and everything about you being poor Wal*Mart is making “‘{We The People}’” as if rich RICH OK. Ok okay ok.

    I HAVE ALWAYS SAID AS A CHILD ON UP I’M SUPPOSE TO BE SWAT. NAVY I HAVE ALWAYS SAID I AM SUPPOSE TO BE ALL SPECIAL FORCES ALL OF IT. EVEN AS A CHILD I KNEW I WAS SWAT AND ALL SPECIAL FORCES OR SO. OK OKAY OK. BUTT NOW I NEED TO REMEMBER MY GRADE IS ALWAYS SUPPOSE TO BE A+. IF I TAKE A TEST AND READ IT OFFICIALLY, Officially I GET THE A+ OK OKAY. AM I, A+. I LIKE SPECIAL FORCES BUT YOU’RE A GOOFBALL THINKING IM ALWAYS GOING TO FIGHT WITH THE TEACHER WHO DEMANDS MY GRADES TO BE ANYTHING LESS THEN A- FOR SAY. TEACHERS DO YOUR JOB AND GET OUT OF MY WAY BECAUSE STILL TODAY I’M A+. BOTHER AWAY TEACH REDO EVERYTHING FOR MY A+ GRADES. GOOBERS. YOU’RE ALL GOOBS TOO ME OK OKAY OK.
    I’m not yelling for say I’m just too lazy to retype the big letters, caps over a again ok okay ok. –Az Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. satta king Taking photographs is a great way to capture any moment in life. Organizing them and printing them has never been easier. No longer is there the need for film and processing. Use the tips below to add whimsy to your photography hobby and to take pictures that look like they should be in magazines! play bazaar

    ReplyDelete