Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Labotomy of a Writer

My name is Anastasia Pergakis. I currently live in Columbus, Georgia with my husband and two year old son. I’m a stay at home mom while my husband enjoys his career in restaurant management. He hopes to open his own restaurant in the next year or two.

 I’m an aspiring novelist with hopes to be published by the end of this year. I write mostly in the Fantasy genre but I do write Sci-Fi also. Until recently, I was a freelance writer, writing informative and technical articles on request.

 I run an online writing workshop for novel writers, "The Writer's Academy". It’s currently being ‘renovated’ and will re-open no later than January 2011. It started as a small group on a writing site I’m a member of, but part of the renovation will be to move it to its own home in the web! The name has changed to "Inkwell University", and even my husband loves the name.

 The move of my workshop really spurred me to get back into school. I needed a business degree so that I could run it professionally and efficiently. With my husband starting his own business soon, this degree will be doubly beneficial to my family. So far, school has been tough as I adjust to the new schedule, but it is well worth it.

 My other passions are reading, reviewing, web design, and cover art design. I am a self taught designer, learning through experimentation and reading endless articles. I am currently trying to start a group on writing.com to help authors build their own websites to get their name out there. I am thinking of putting it on the web as it's own site also. Over the course of this week, that is my side project, so I'll have a link for you soon.

My friends will tell you that I'm a bit crazy - and it's completey true. My characters talk to me, and I talk back as if they were real. Well, they are real, but they only talk to me!

I am a busy body, always something going on, or a new project, or something to do. I like the busy life but yes sometimes it catches up to me and I need a break. But, my life is definitely not boring. My two year old keeps me pretty busy on his own! He's very active, always wanting to play, so he at least keeps me in shape and laughing.

I'm not sure what else to say about myself so I'll end this post here. Of course, I am always open to questions so feel free to stop by my author page here and drop me a line or two! I am honored to be a part of the Wicked team and I look forward to working along side the great authors we have here.

4 comments:

  1. So, tell me more about this writing academy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA!

    I am tired just reading about all that you do! Where do you get your energy, woman?

    The Writing Acadamy sounds exciting. I too, would like more information on it.

    And I think you and I would get along great... my characters talk to me all the time too (as well as my muse, the dead author she channels and my evil inner editor...)

    Well, maybe I've scared you off!

    Anyway, glad to see you here. Can't wait to hear more of your BUSY, exciting life (coming from someone who doesn't have a life...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a busy bee! My hat is off to you, Anastasia. (Oh! ...And "crazy" helps!)

    I am looking forward to reading more of your posts here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA, and I didn't even mention all the stuff I do - that's just a fraction!

    Greg - You know all about the writing academy silliness! You are one of my best students!

    George - I'm not sure where the energy comes from. My husband says it's because I'm young, but I don't think that's it. The insanity has a lot to with it I think. Oh and if you want, I have a Character Tea Party next Saturday night on Twitter if you'd like to bring a character a long for a chat. Information is on my regular blog if you want to check it out.

    David - Crazy definitely does help! Sometimes I think it's the only reason why I can do what I do.

    I'll see about finding some time to make a post about the Academy on my personal blog this week. Basically, it's just a writing workshop - themed as a school - to help writers. It used to have all sorts of writing classes, but during the moving process, I'm narrowing it down to just novel writing. While I can write poetry, short stories, articles, and scripts reasonably well, I don't think I can do those classes justice since it's not where my true passion lies. *shrug* Also, until I can get some dedicated people to help me run it, I gotta stick to what I love and know best.

    ReplyDelete